Heritage Ohio has presented the Best Public Building Rehabilitation Award to the Fulton County Commissioners as part of Ohio’s Preservation Month which takes place in October. Garmann/Miller Architects - Engineers was a key partner in the rehabilitation project at Fulton County Courthouse along with John Canning & Co., LTD. of Cheshire, CT and Mosser Construction Inc. of Fremont.
The 10-month project had a budget of $3.86 million combining local and state funding. GMAE designed a renovation and restoration for the second floor of the Fulton County Courthouse. This included a complete historic restoration of the Common Pleas Courtroom including new technology and sound equipment. Some minor renovations were done to the first floor Clerk of Courts area. New mechanical and electrical systems were provided for the entire building, along with sprinkler and fire alarm systems. A new elevator was installed to provide handicap accessibility.
Fulton County’s Italianate Tuscan Villa style courthouse was built in 1872 for a cost of $45,722.27. The historic courthouse, listed on the national register in 1975 contains extensive artwork includes murals, oil paintings, and wood carvings, plus a dome with stained glass. GMAE is proud to play a part in keeping this history alive.
Recognition will be given to award recipients in October 2020 via social media by Heritage Ohio. Heritage Ohio fosters economic development and sustainability through preservation of historic buildings, revitalization of downtowns and neighborhood commercial districts, and promotion of local tourism. Learn more by visiting heritageohio.org.